Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:51 pm

I'm afraid of going through the withdrawal again. I've done it 5x before. I don't want to get sick like the flu for 3 days, as can happen.

I'm determined though. I really must quit. The problem is, I just ran out of my klonopin and can't get a refill until tomorrow (hopefully!) and that would really help to manage withdrawal.

Still, I can't stand to smoke anymore, so as of now, at 3:50, this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 5:59 pm

Are you quitting because of the carcinogens in cigarettes, or because of your reliance on nicotine?

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 6:13 pm

I can't afford to spend $200 or more on cigs a month when I'm on SSDI.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 6:15 pm

Ooh, okay.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2009, 6:23 pm

whitetiger wrote:

That's one reason why you should quit smoking, it's costs too much money. And it's even costlier now because federal taxes on cigarettes has just jumped to $1.01 PER PACK! You can use that same amount of money to put away for something.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 7:41 pm

Jkid wrote:
whitetiger wrote:

That's one reason why you should quit smoking, it's costs too much money. And it's even costlier now because federal taxes on cigarettes has just jumped to $1.01 PER PACK! You can use that same amount of money to put away for something.

:wall:
You could use that same amount of words to say something constructive and mind your own damn business. Some of us smoke because we damn well want to, and get sick and tired of the government 'helping' poor smokers to become poorer (note that the tax increase on cigars was far less than the one on cigarettes), and the 'helpful' remarks from holier-than-thou nonsmokers about our potential health and potential money savings and how offensive our nasty (private and personal) habit is. Oh, yeah - you might die of 'secondhand smoke' like all us kids raised around smokers in the sixties did when our parents raised us in smoke-filled homes and drove us around in smoke-filled cars. Oh wait - we didn't. How 'bout that? :duh:

Why aren't they taxing the hell out of Twinkies and Big Macs? A lot more people are putting a strain on the health care system with their big fat cardiovascular diseased @sses these days than with smoking related illnesses. I for one am sick of being discriminated against by 'sin taxes' - people who chronically drink and smoke are among the unhappiest people on the planet - that's why they choose to commit slow suicide - thank you government and self-righteous jaggoffs for picking on us and making our lives even more miserable. (::whew!:: that rant winded me) 8O

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2009, 8:22 pm

Speaking of helping poor smokers become poorer, the tax on roll-your-own tobacco was huge. That's what I smoke, and many others with limited income. The last pouch I got had a $9.40 sticker pasted over a $4.60 sticker.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 8:30 pm

Well, I MUST save money if I am to survive. I was going to quit tonight, but since I am out of klonopin, I bought another pack. My plan is to keep myself sedated for three days until the withdrawal passes. Hopefully, if the pharmacy fills my script, I can do that.

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2009, 9:35 pm

Stick with it. I'm in the process of quitting right now. Gave up a week ago, had three last night then threw the pack away. I've been using nicotine tablets. Been smoking for ten years, average 15 per day. It's tough. And I've tried a few times before.

There's a couple of knuckle-dents in the wall, but so far I'm okayish.

Tell you what, if you don't give up giving up, I won't give up giving up! :D

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm

Too bad you don't live in North Texas. Most smokers I know here drive up to Oklahoma into Indian territory to buy their cigarettes tax free. Enormously cheaper.

Cold turkey is probably best. It's hard, but it's best to get it over with as quick as possible.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:34 pm

I've been smoking around 30 a day and I read today that a bipolar female has a 6% chance of quitting for good. Great news! My dad also said he was sick for three days and for a month he felt terrible after quitting.

Whether I quit tomorrow depends on whether I get my klonopin refill. My doctor's office has it all screwed up. The computer says I get 6 mg a day and my last bottle said 2 mg a day. My doctor told me to take 6 mg and now I'm out three days early.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:56 pm

Man, I agree! Junk food is just as bad as smoking. Arg!! ! We in the US are being overloaded with junk food!!!It is really bad for us to live on diets of soda pop, french fries, big macs and snack cakes! Not to mention Doritos.

Things you can try in your quest to give up cigarettes are nicoteen patches, gum, tablets or smokeless cigarettes.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 11:21 pm

I quit on the patches for 6 years when I was 26. I cannot afford the patches now.

I quit cold turkey twice for one month each.

I quit by cutting back 2 a day and stayed quit for 8 months. I put up a chart 3-26 and cut back from 30 to 15 and today I've smoked 30 again.

I just know from experience what the withdrawal is like and this is a terrible time in my life to quit, what with all the stressors. I have fear about everything. I just wrote out a post about all the things I'm anxious about and how I desperately need courage right now.

Pray for me!

I must do this. I can't go on buying cigarettes.

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2009, 1:39 am

Hi Whitetiger! Just a quick message to give you support with your attempts to give up smoking. Keep up the good work. Don't worry if you went back to it for a few days. Everybody's got their preferred method - I've had about five in the last two weeks thanks to nicotine tablets, and nothing at all in the last six days. It's tough sometimes, but keep going. Best of luck!